Skip to main content

Let's Talk About Why They're Mad


 Events happening in our school district make me sick. I lie awake at night and wonder how I can change the way things are going. I compose speeches in my head, but many well-spoken people have already tried that and got nowhere. We can't make certain board members listen when they don't want to, when they've already decided what they're going to do.

As a result, I decided to do what I do: write. In this blog, I will try to interpret what I see in terms of what I know. It might help like-minded people to understand. It probably won't change the minds of those who feel the opposite way. As I said, they've already decided. 

You can answer my posts if you like, but it's my blog. I control what gets seen, and I expect polite discussion and truthfulness.

I realize that people get upset with the way things are in a society as big and complicated as ours is. They feel powerless. They feel like no one in government really listens to them. They hear things that make them scared or mad or shocked. We all experience those things, but how we react is important. 

What some people tend to do is lash out at the target closest to their level. When I taught at Onaway, my students used to blame the principal for everything they disliked about the school. "He doesn't want us going downtown at lunchtime," or "He won't let us wear hats." Of course, those weren't the principal's decisions. His job was to enforce the rules set up by the school board. The same type of thing happens in work situations: people tend to blame the manager closest to them, the face they know, rather than the unknown people creating policies and making decisions.

Feeling unheard in the bigger world of government and politics, some people turn on local entities like city councils, county commissions,  and schools. This has been encouraged by national leaders over the last few years, because the people who want power (or want to hold onto power) have figured out that controlling small, local organizations is a big help in gaining control of larger, national ones.

Sadly, our school has fallen prey to these tactics, supported by people who have no business interfering with education and no factual basis for the stories they tell to justify their actions.

If you're mad at society, okay. I get it. It's messy out there. What I ask is that locally, each of you work to find out what's true and what's not. Examine and question. Look at who's telling you what's "wrong" with our school. Look at what they're claiming and who they say is doing these awful things. And ask yourself why they might be saying that.

(Hint: is money involved? Power? The chance to "get even" or "take down" someone they're jealous of?)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Education?

  I once had a student chastise me—gently, but sincerely—for telling my class that Richard the Lionheart might have been homosexual. It isn’t a big deal, except it’s one explanation for why he left no heirs, despite having a lovely bride. It meant we got his half-crazed brother John as king when Richard died. Hence the Magna Carta. The student stayed after class to share her opinion that kids (in this case 10 th graders) should only be told “good things” about famous people. History should be uplifting, she maintained, showing us how to be the best we can be. Knowing that came straight from her father’s mouth, I didn’t argue, but thanked her for her input. Too many are sliding into that mindset these days. According to some, it’s bad to admit that our country has faults. It makes students feel “ashamed” of their race and their heritage. I have issues with that mindset. First, truth is truth , no matter how much we might dislike it. I admired Bill Clinton as a President, but wh

Progress?

  Last night, I attended my first board meeting in person since January. (The whole broken leg thing has been a real downer.) I’ve been watching them on FB (thanks, Stacey), but it was good to be there and be able to hear and see better. It was great to see the board functioning as it’s supposed to. The event was a workshop to examine ways to update the school, a process that has been planned for some time now. A citizen committee has looked into the possibilities. Community members were canvassed as to which updates they thought were most important. A firm was hired to look the campus over and make recommendations. Now the board is hearing from those entities, and they will decide what we must have, what we should have, and (maybe) what we’d like to have. The recommendations will be made public soon so the taxpayers are informed. It’s the way school business goes. Always has. What was great to me was seeing our board members interacting with each other in a civil manner. They

Shooting Down the Rumors

  I was talking with someone yesterday who spoke of “stories” as the best way to convince people to believe a certain way. We can provide facts, numbers, graphs, testimony, whatever, but people who know nothing about a subject except a story they heard will often reject the truth and cling to the narrative. As a former English teacher, I understand the power of the story to hold the listener's heart, even when the story’s proven wrong. Stories are fun to tell and way more exciting than, “I mowed the lawn yesterday.” When people pass shocking tales along, their listeners react with wide eyes and surprised exclamations. For some folks, “I heard that—” seems to excuse the most malicious gossip, no matter how outlandish it might be. An engaging story beats court documents, police reports, and scholarly research, because those things lack the story-telling spirit we enjoy. I love stories. I read stories. I write stories. But I also understand that we need to apply logic to the stori