Skip to main content

Progress?

 



Last night, I attended my first board meeting in person since January. (The whole broken leg thing has been a real downer.) I’ve been watching them on FB (thanks, Stacy), but it was good to be there and be able to hear and see better. It was great to see the board functioning as it’s supposed to.

The event was a workshop to examine ways to update the school, a process that has been planned for some time now. A citizen committee has looked into the possibilities. Community members were canvassed as to which updates they thought were most important. A firm was hired to look the campus over and make recommendations. Now the board is hearing from those entities, and they will decide what we must have, what we should have, and (maybe) what we’d like to have. The recommendations will be made public soon, so the taxpayers are informed. It’s the way school business goes. Always has.

What was great to me was seeing our board members interacting with each other in a civil manner. They made comments and suggestions. They listened to and benefited from each other’s viewpoints and expertise. Sometimes they smiled. Members who were at each other’s throats a few months ago nodded and said, “I agree,” or “That’s exactly what I was thinking,” as they discussed possibilities.

Why was this meeting so amicable? Largely, it's because the needs of a building are understandable and quantifiable. While we might debate how to fix the heating system or revamp the parking lot, we agree that those things are necessary.

Another reason is that for the most part, the board listened to the experts. Of course they listened cautiously, since their job is to spend taxpayer money wisely, but the architects and engineers know the law, the process, and the most efficient method to get a job done. There will be debate over the fine points (like whether trees, boulders, or something else should be used to designate traffic patterns through the parking lot), but overall, the board listened to the people who are trained to make things work. After hearing input from the community, they accepted that the experts they hired will do what it takes to maintain standards and get the best outcome.

Imagine if at some point last night a board member had said, “My house has an electric furnace, so I insist that our school get one just like it.” Or, “I heard somewhere that walls make some students feel scared, so I demand that we do away with walls.” Not helpful. Not informed. Not likely to lead to consensus.

Overall, it was a pleasant evening. I hope to see that civility continue when we get back to discussing policy instead of parking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Teachers

 At Tuesday night’s board meeting, a comment was made by a board member that upset me. I don’t have it verbatim, but it was something like this: Old teachers shouldn’t be allowed to attend these meetings. Let me tell you about old teachers. They’re educated . In order to become teachers, they had to leave Onaway and see a bit of the outside world. They read . And they know how to read between the lines and figure out what someone isn’t saying; what they really mean. They care. After twenty, thirty, sometimes more years in the school system, they care about it. They know how the system works, and they know its flaws. One of the biggest problems a school can face is a board member (or four) with an agenda. Work on everything else tends to stop while this person (these people) rant about their favorite subjects, which are either wrong or don’t focus on real goals for improvement and advancement of all students. They know people . Like many former teachers, I taught every student

What Is Education?

  I once had a student chastise me—gently, but sincerely—for telling my class that Richard the Lionheart might have been homosexual. It isn’t a big deal, except it’s one explanation for why he left no heirs, despite having a lovely bride. It meant we got his half-crazed brother John as king when Richard died. Hence the Magna Carta. The student stayed after class to share her opinion that kids (in this case 10 th graders) should only be told “good things” about famous people. History should be uplifting, she maintained, showing us how to be the best we can be. Knowing that came straight from her father’s mouth, I didn’t argue, but thanked her for her input. Too many are sliding into that mindset these days. According to some, it’s bad to admit that our country has faults. It makes students feel “ashamed” of their race and their heritage. I have issues with that mindset. First, truth is truth , no matter how much we might dislike it. I admired Bill Clinton as a President, but wh

Shooting Down the Rumors

  I was talking with someone yesterday who spoke of “stories” as the best way to convince people to believe a certain way. We can provide facts, numbers, graphs, testimony, whatever, but people who know nothing about a subject except a story they heard will often reject the truth and cling to the narrative. As a former English teacher, I understand the power of the story to hold the listener's heart, even when the story’s proven wrong. Stories are fun to tell and way more exciting than, “I moved the lawn yesterday.” When people pass shocking tales along, their listeners react with wide eyes and surprised exclamations. For some folks, “I heard that—” seems to excuse the most malicious gossip, no matter how outlandish it might be. An engaging story beats court documents, police reports, and scholarly research, because those things lack the story-telling spirit we enjoy. I love stories. I read stories. I write stories. But I also understand that we need to apply logic to the stori